Retail Store Design That Sells – Top 5 Tips

Retail Store Design That Sells – Top 5 Tips

Retail Store Design That Sells – Top 5 Tips

Retail Store Design That Sells – Top 5 Tips


When a customer walks into a retail store, what do they see? And more importantly, what makes a customer want to buy something from that store?


It’s an important question to answer in order to maximize profits. A store’s design matters. It matters a lot.


Here are some of the most important considerations when you’re designing the interior of your retail store.


1.     Displays Pull In Customers – Make your storefront exciting!


Always make the most of your storefront space by considering how you can draw in potential customers who might not already be headed through your door. A popular option is eye-catching product displays. Another is seasonally themed displays. Storefronts are also one of the best places to advertise sales, which draw in customers.


2.     First Impressions Matter – No clutter allowed. The first 10 feet into your store are key.


We’ve all heard the old adage “don’t judge a book by its cover,” but first impressions matter.


This means it’s important for stores to pay special attention to the very first area that a prospective customer encounters in the store, known as the threshold space. These first ten feet tell your customers what they’ll find in your store, and they also tell a story about your brand.


Is your store ultra modern and sleek? Rustic and outdoorsy? The entire design of the retail space should tell customers a story about your brand—and tell them exactly what they’ll get if they step further inside.


3.     Layout Drives Buyer Instincts


A retail store’s layout should maximize traffic flow. And you can use people’s unconscious instincts to maximize profits. For example, 90 percent of customers turn right when they enter a store, so use that space wisely—build your first impression by giving extra attention to the display in this area. You should feature new items, high demand products, or your highest profit products in the best traveled space of your store.


As your customers move through the store, make sure that your design creates a natural flow. For example, don’t place checkout counters at the front or to the right where they break up circulation. The best location for checkout counters is near the back and to the left.


4.     Make a Path With Speed Bumps


Speed bumps in a retail store? It might sound strange, but you should balance your store’s flow with slowing customers down to see your products. These are known as speed bumps.


One of the most popular store layouts is known as a loop layout, a main path that circles through the store like a racetrack. But unlike a racetrack, you don’t want customers going for speed. Speed bumps are eye-catching displays that slow customers down and grab their attention. These merchandise outposts should feature products that rotate frequently and are displayed at eye level to stand out.


5.     Good Color Drives Attraction to your Brand


Store design isn’t just about layout, it’s also about the feel of the space. And color is one of the best ways a retail store can convey its aesthetic and brand. Color needs to be optimized everywhere, from the walls and floors to the signs, displays, and the products themselves.


A typical rule in color design is to use neutral primary colors for 75 percent of the store’s decor, which creates a relaxed atmosphere. The other 25 percent should be bold accent colors, which will grab attention, perfect for signage about sales and other deals.


With these Top 5 Tips, your customers should feel energized and excited to be in your store…and, you’ll feel good maximizing profits.

Retail Store Design That Sells Top 5 Tips